Thursday, June 16, 2016

CORDUROY ~ Washington D.C.

I've been dreading writing this post. Why? Because when I started this blog, I wanted to support chefs and somms and restaurants of different ilks all across the country. I wanted to write sassy reviews about amazing food. And every time I've walked into a new spot, I have so much excitement at its potential. 

My experience at Corduroy was not amazing. It wasn't bad, but what made me not want to write this post is simply that Corduroy was... fine. Just... fine. And that actually makes me more upset than if it was BAD. 

On my first night in a new city, as you all know, I try and find a good foodie spot, something perhaps with a yummy tasting menu. Corduroy came up, and the 5-course $70 tasting menu seemed quite reasonable. Maybe I should have been tipped off when the server didn't know any of the dishes on tonight's degustation (I was asking as I was looking at the wine list for pairing ideas.) I mean, usually a tasting menu is where the chef flexes his culinary muscles, am I right? It is a special event, something to get excited about, isn't it?

Anyway, I ordered it, and started taking notes. Decor... fine. Service was very good. Prices were appropriate. Wine list (though unbalanced,) was fairly solid. (Although there were a number of half-bottles, which I love to see on a list, the by-the-glass options were sparse; only four whites and three reds.) However, the meal was a yawner. Boring. Uggghhh I can't believe I just wrote "boring," to me that's worse than "awful." 

But I kept trying to give Corduroy the benefit of the doubt. 

Amuse: a chilled traditional Greek soup with lemon, egg yolk, cream... definitely eggy and creamy, acidity of the lemon lifts it, fairly rich flavors, but underwhelming. 

Tuna tartare: with crunchy potato and Tamari. Probably my favorite course; hard to screw this up. Good flavor and texture, but not really memorable.

Scallops: seared beautifully. Served with Jerusalem artichoke puree and green beans. I mean, the sear was truly gorgeous, and the scallops were so well cooked I actually wondered if they were under! But the puree was watery. Green beans were... fine. (GREEN BEANS, though, I mean, regular old green beans. Yawn.)

My notes then say: "Everything is FINE. Is it me, that I want innovation when I dine? Risk-taking, at least. I mean, yes, put out good food... Maybe I'm just frustrated w myself I couldn't find a "better" resto to fit my desires." (Like, say, Kali from the previous post.)

And then the real WTF moment happened: Pork loin with BBQ sauce and beans. What The Francisfordcoppola? 

Notes again: "Don't love this. Beans are starchy, pork is bland and a bit chewy. Sauce is ok. If you're gonna do Pork n' Beans, YOU MUST SLAY ME. This ANNOYS me. What's the point?!?!"

I even was getting mad at my wine, the half-bottle of 2013 Ken Wright Abbott Claim Vineyard Pinot Noir. "Even the KW, as good as it is, isn't intoxicating."

Trying to keep my frustration and annoyance at bay, I found the final savory course at least flavorful. Beef, with creamy spinach and a port wine and mushroom reduction. Safe. Bo-ring as all get out. But at least it was tasty. 

When the dessert course arrived I just wanted to drain the last of my wine and go. It was a strawberry tart thingie with a kind of creamsicle thingie. Nice. Fine. I was almost jumping out of my skin with boredom.

Listen, if you have a business dinner and an expense account, go for it. No one will be offended. IT'S FINE. But I had to wonder, is this how they do it in D.C.? Safe, boring, blah? I hope not. At least I have a few more nights off during our stay here so I can find out. But man, was I bummed I wasted one on Corduroy. Life is too damn short for "fine."

Bon appétit (I hope next time!)






No comments:

Post a Comment